2,300m² Overall GFA
A series of organic shaped voids adorned with hanging gardens welcome the library users into the space.
The library fit-out takes inspiration from its previous location. Formerly a library tucked in the midst of the lush Blackburn Gardens with an expansive water view of the Double Bay, the new design is about bringing the garden into the library.
A series of organic shaped voids adorned with hanging gardens welcome the library users into the space, connecting and opening up the three levels. Entering the library on level one, visitors can take a peek into the Automated Returns Room and watch books being automatically sorted. Being the community floor, this level also offers a Multi-Function room, Quick Browsing Collection, and a Junior Library.
In the middle of the floor plate is the stair or “the forum”. Designed to be agile and multi-purpose, the stair can be used for a different number of activities such as individual seating, reading, and theatrette seating for watching a movie on the retractable screen. It leads up to level two, where most of the collection sits, with a variety of reading and study spaces scattered throughout including a dedicated young adult space.
The top floor, level three, is the quiet level. It provides a local history area, a quiet room and a series of study spaces, catering to the needs of individuals and different group sizes. Visitors can also access some collection on this level and enjoy a quiet reading time around the fireplace.
- Designing the Fit-out of a New Library in a New Retail/Commercial Building in Double Bay
- A Vibrant Community Space with Welcoming and Interesting Zones
- Must be Accessible to the Whole Community
- Contextually Appropriate
- A Good Balance Between Flexible Study/Reading Spaces and Collection (Books)
- A Variety of Seating Spaces for Both Individual and Group Studies
- Enabling a Broad Range of Community Activities, such as Technology Training, Writer's Talks, Baby Rhyme Time, etc.
- Designing for Future Growth/Change.
- Hanging Garden in the Void References the Garden Context of the Original Library in Double Bay
- Children's Slide from Stair into Play Area
- Flexible Study and Reading Spaces