Split over three levels with a centralised living area, upper level bedrooms and lower level service rooms. The living level is excavated back into the hillside providing a protected courtyard area and swimming pool, with the front opening out onto a wide external terrace capitalising on the panoramic views of the town below and Magnetic Island beyond. The top street level incorporates a main entry and gallery space bridge which runs across the courtyard below.
Responding to the site’s tropical climate and recurring cyclonic conditions the building fabric is built to withstand and control the elements. Heat gain is controlled on the largely open Northern facade by generous roof overhangs, operable blinds, timber screening and external fans. Side flanking walls reflective in white, externally insulated with minimal openings help to buffer the harsh Western and Eastern sun.
- Generally take advantage of the views to the north
- Level playing area approx. 12 x 6m
- Outdoor shower to Pool area
- Provide visual connection between living area and pool
- Playroom on Living Room level
- Playroom to be able to be screened off from other areas