Santos Place is a 41 storey commercial office building with exceptional green credentials. A striking addition to Brisbane’s central city skyline, the building consists of ground floor, plus 30 levels of commercial workplace levels over 5 podium car park floors. A new pedestrian lane through the ground level connects the Kurilpa pedestrian bridge with Turbot Street to make a memorable addition to the network of Brisbane’s pedestrian spaces. Significantly, it provides a conspicuously ‘domestic’ setting made from local timber and stone that signals a less corporate way of developing the city. The lane contains café and restaurant tenancies as well as artwork and public seating.
On Turbot street, a portico forms a ‘miniature building’ over the footpath and serves a functional and ‘place making’ role for the building, as well as contributing to the network of CBD markers and experiences.
Above the ground floor, all the expected features of premium office space are provided: large, side-loaded floor plates, monitored comfort conditions and expansive views over the river to the south and hinterland. Double glazing to the building’s perimeter is shielded by purpose perforated shadowing screens on its west and east flanks. The gold anodizing and local heritage colour palette of the façade create a distinctive glow in Brisbane’s intense morning and evening light.
Santos Place was designed by Donovan Hill. Donovan Hill merged with BVN in 2013.
RAIA QLD Beatrice Hutton Award for Commercial Architecture
- Large floorplates provide minimal column and core intrusions
- Design allows for inter-connecting stairs between floors
- Creates a premium commercial building that also contributes to the public realm, through 24 hour pedestrian lane
- Side core layout maximises floor plate efficiency and views out to the river and hinterland
- Eco building that incorporates local timber and stone construction systems and details, as well as sophisticated engineering systems
- ‘Human’ design with bicycle parking, boulder walls for sitting, dangling lanterns
- PCA Grade – A