Olympics masterplan and urban plan that creates a sustainable, community-focused urban vision for Brazil.
BVN’s proposal for the Rio 2016 Olympic Park and urban plan considers the need to:
– provide an operational plan for 2016;
– create a new urban vision for Brazil based on human scale, sustainability and affordability;
– transpose as much as possible of the 2016 plan into the urban plan allowing for optimum post-games investment;
– provide a world leading Olympic Training Centre (OTC) for South America;
– create a development that can be staged to allow optimum use of the site from 2011-2046.
The design methodology integrates the 2046 urban plan with the 2016 Olympics operational plan, to enable the future character of the place to emerge from the Olympics legacy.
The Olympic and Paralympics operational plan includes high level security strategies, discrete venue operational issues and the look and feel of the Games.
The 2046 urban plan promotes community and an authentic sense of ‘place’. This is achieved by aligning the street pattern with surrounding land and water forms, linking the urban domain to the new OTC and existing urban settlements, and proposing a settlement of scaled density and form.
Central to the design is the courtyard typology, encouraging social participation and inclusion through neighbourhood gardens which in turn enhances security and safety.
This amalgamation of public, semi-public and private space, together with integrated residential, commercial and retail facilities creates a holistic urban environment, with increased pedestrian activity. The inclusion of the OTC allows the regular community the advantage of access to superior science and sport facilities.
- Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016
- Legacy consolidation of mixed use development
- Game-Time mode
- Legacy mode
- Courtyard typology and neighbourhood gardens promote sense of community and public safety
- Creation of neighbourhood character and sense of place for the larger Barra di Tijuca site
- 2016 Olympics plan integrated with 2046 urban plan
- Designed for durability and future adaptability within local climate conditions
- As the development plan is integrated, the ability to live, work and shop within a short distance is fundamental to the human scale of the 2046 plan