30,000m² External Sporting Courts/Fields
Located in eastern regional Victoria, the East Sale Redevelopment project is a significant base wide redevelopment project with 17 new buildings including:
– Multi-Denominational Chapel
– Community Support Centre
– 4000m2 Physical Fitness Facility with Aquatic and Sports Hall, exercise studios, offices and external tennis/netball courts and 400m running track and soccer field
– 6 new office buildings
– A new commercial precinct for café, banking, family care and hairdressing tenancies
– 6 multi-unit residential accommodation blocks
As an example of one of the buildings the Physical Fitness Facility is an important building not only for the primary purpose of the training capability that can be undertaken but also as a focal point of wellbeing for the RAAF community. The facility is located within the heart of the base and at 80m long and 50 m deep it will have significant presence to the streetscape. The design response has been to embrace the large scale of the building that is necessitated by the sports hall and aquatic hall clear height requirements whilst meeting Defence’s aspirations for a robust and cost effective facility.
Within a compressed program, multiple user groups were briefed for the functional design brief which was developed concurrently during the concept design phase. Concept design has been completed and the project is now in design development. The project has a strong sustainability focus in alignment with Defence’s ESD policy and guidelines. Many of the sites have sensitive site issues including significant river red gum trees which require environmentally site responsive designs.
BVN were responsible for a previous project on the base, the RAAF College project, and we are very proud to be continuing our involvement in the next generation of buildings for the base.
- Teaching Facilities
- Living-in Accommodation
- Mess Facilities
- Teaching Training Facilities
- Learning Spaces
- Airport ground defence training facilities
- Buildings designed to balance form, function, sustainability and efficient use of the client’s budget
- Buildings address the landscape and surrounding context
- Steel design provides robust, easy-to-maintain buildings