154,000m2 redevelopment of two city blocks at Circular Quay
A major redevelopment of two complete city blocks in the heart of the Sydney CBD totalling over 150,000m² of floorspace.
Quay Quarter Sydney is a major redevelopment of two complete city blocks in the heart of the Sydney City CBD totalling over 150,000m² of floorspace. It includes the regeneration and adaptive re-use of the 1970’s 50 bridge Street tower, more than doubling its size, new mixed use podium, new residential buildings, heritage buildings and a new retail neighbourhood.
BVN have developed the masterplan for the site, incorporating the various uses and creating a new integrated groundplane that greatly improves accessibility and connections between the city and the quay. The masterplan addresses all of the challenges of a dense urban site, including building massing, overshadowing controls, view lines, vehicle movements, pedestrian movements, access points, area/usage distribution, commercial feasibility and open public space. BVN worked closely with the developer AMP Capital, the City of Sydney Council, Transport for NSW and other relevant stakeholders to iteratively develop, test, assess, revise and complete the masterplan the achieve the best possible outcome for the owner and the City.
Following the development of the masterplan BVN prepared the extensive documentation for the Stage One Development Application, assisted in the preparation of the brief for the international design competition, and subsequently undertook a series of detailed design studies and analyses of the various elements across the precinct.
Our subsequent role was to work as Executive Architect with Danish practice 3XN on the Stage 2 Development Application, and now we are active during the delivery of the project.
- Adaptive Re-use of the existing Tower to deliver a high performance workspace supported by lifestyle features
- 94,000m² of Lettable Floorspace
- 106 Apartments
- Extensive Retail Facility
- New Public Museum
- Gym, dining, wellbeing and lifestyle retail areas
- Redevelopment of Two City Blocks
- Improved Public and Private Amenity
- Over 150,000m² of Floor Space with a Variety of Different Uses
- Adaptive Re-use and Extension of a Major Highrise Tower
- Improved Solar Access to Public Parks through the Shaping of Building Masses