4,885m² Total Net Area
The Forgan Smith Building west wing has been re-imagined to suit contemporary needs of the TC Beirne School of Law and Walter Harrison Law Library. The adaptive re-use strategy transformed the restrictive central corridor and cellular room layout through strategic demolition and addition of new parts that support contemporary teaching and learning environments.
The School’s Vision – to be Inspirational, Inquiring, and International has underpinned this new approach, with the resultant identity characterised by historic building fabric and contemporary interiors.
Defined by a grand translucent screen, the Arrival Void is the new, identifiable ‘heart’ for the School. The underpinning rationale for this carefully articulated space is to promote engagement and knowledge sharing across the full spectrum of academics, students and the broader public. It facilitates the porosity and exposure of the school – to itself and the broader community – providing memorable navigation and address to all groups and spaces.
- A sense of unity for the School.
- Added clarity and identity through implementing a single clear building entry under the letters LAW carved into the sandstone in the 1930’s.
- Introduction of a 3 storey atrium, the ‘Light Court’, to connect all 3 levels of the building for the first time thus creating student study spaces and transparency of activity within the School.