The Cranbrook School Masterplan occurred in 2 phases and outlines a framework for the future redevelopment of the school’s iconic senior campus located in the Sydney eastern suburb of Bellevue Hill.
Following extensive stakeholder consultation with senior management, teachers, day boys and boarding-school students, parents, and Old Cranbrookians (Cranbrook’s recent alumni) it became apparent that the school community wanted both a social heart for cultural focussed activities, and an academic heart incorporating the school’s library and improved learning spaces.
The master plan document proposes a unified campus, identifying development sites for staged implementation that will take the campus forward for the next 50 years. The masterplan acknowledges and builds upon the unique qualities of the site with its heritage precinct and unparalleled harbour views.
It responds to the need to be a good and respectful neighbour and it focuses on building a rich and diverse range of spaces and facilities including:
• New multi–level academic centre, providing contemporary and flexible new teaching and learning facilities. The levels will be full of light and vertically connected via stairs and voids, and integrated with Teaching Street, forming a blended indoor/outdoor learning environment
• A new home for the Houses of Cranbrook will be provided across the 4 levels of the new Academic Centre. As the backbone of the Cranbrook pastoral care system, the houses will form an integral part of the new centre, developing their own unique identity within the informal and formal learning spaces.
• New integrated development at War Memorial Hall site. This new building synthesizes academic, social, recreational, gathering, performance and spiritual facilities to provide an exciting new first stage of rebuilding for the School
• Developed, enhanced and widened ‘Teaching Street’ as an outdoor and landscaped meandering spine that connects the site and the spaces from east to west, and culminates in the opening and address to the Hordern Oval
• A new formalized on site drop off and pick up
• New Sports and Fitness Centre under Hordern Oval supporting health and wellbeing. Facilities include a 50m pool, basketball court and fitness facilities
• New underground carpark accessed from Rose Bay Avenue for staff and students with capacity for 200 cars, enabling significant reduction of cars off neighbouring streets.
- Learning spaces
- Library, learning commons
- Canteen and Dining facility
- Assembly Hall /Gymnasium
- Tiered performance theatre
- Flat floored performance, rehearsal and recital spaces
- Indoor pool and fitness centre
- Heritage refurbishments
- Extensive stakeholder consultations in the development of the masterplan
- ‘Teaching Street’ becomes outdoor learning spine and navigator and connector across the site
- New multi level connected Learning Centre combines assembly spaces, gymnasium, dining and entertaining facilities, performance spaces and learning spaces designed for new pedagogies