A benchmark for regional hospital design that embodies the values of tranquillity, community, collaborative workplace and efficient operations
The Bendigo Hospital PPP Bid project establishes a new benchmark for regional hospital design that embodies the values of tranquility, community pride, collaborative workplace and efficient operations within an integrated health, educational and community precinct.
Realisation of these values occurred through the incorporation of a range of innovative ideas, examples including the vertical stacking of staff hubs around an open communication stair to facilitate staff interactions; integration of generous landscaped courtyards throughout the building to maximise access to daylight and contact with the external environment; double height semi enclosed verandahs along the full length of the building to provide engaging entry and waiting spaces to lower level clinical services; and close integration of the new hospital with existing academic and heritage precincts across the existing campus.
Resolution of the project involved the synthesis of these values with an extremely complex brief for a major acute hospital including an integrated regional cancer centre, psychiatric inpatient unit, diagnostic, outpatient and associated services and infrastructure. The project was submitted in 2013 with BVN as lead architects supported by Design Inc for Clinical Planning services.
- 70,0000m² Acute hospital
- 372 acute inpatient beds
- 80 psychiatric inpatient beds
- 72 same day acute beds
- 11 operating theatres
- Regional integrated cancer centre
- Education facilities
- Staff and support facilities
- Hospital design encourages communication and interaction between staff through vertical stacking of staff hubs around an open stair
- Semi-enclosed verandahs to provide engaging entry and waiting spaces
- Design resolves aspirational values with a complex brief for a major acute hospital
- Master planning of complex existing site including heritage buildings.