13,500m² Building GFA
630m² Warehouse GFA
The Australian Red Cross Blood Service NSW Headquarters and Laboratory is Australia’s largest blood processing centre with 60 percent of the facility used as processing laboratories.
The building is designed to provide a functional, flexible facility that staff enjoy working in. The laboratory, administrative and public spaces are opened up through the use of a large atrium facing the street with a delicately detailed curving timber staircase through its centre.
The inherent planning flexibility accommodates state of the art technology, current operational requirements and the evolving nature of the business over the next 20-30 years. The building is designed to be ‘disaster proof’ so it can operate under critical conditions when blood products are most required, including the ability to operate for a four-day period independent of external services in the event of disaster.
The building provides a controlled environment with a compact layout for efficient use of services and core layouts.
- 97 Bay Basement Car Park
- PC2 Labs
- Efficiency in planning layout to ensure seamless processing of all services
- High level of amenity for staff through maximisation of natural light, social atrium and green roof
- Distinctive spiral staircase connects the separate floors, promoting informal interaction
- Staff and visitors are afforded views into the inner workings of the laboratories
- Highly complex ‘disaster-proof’ facility with 150,000 litres of drinking water, over 600,000 litres of water for firefighting, 10,000 litres of rainwater and a 120,000-litre sewage tank