480 Queen Street is a premium grade commercial office development incorporating a publicly accessible pedestrian street and elevated park that establishes a new office building typology for Brisbane’s CBD.
Termed a ‘Campus Tower’, the development is designed to incorporate a carefully considered commercial and public realm solution meeting the brief for ‘Premium’ grade office accommodation. The 4,144m² site provides a large parcel superbly located in the city to warrant a large scale development. Its unique property shape and cross fall between Adelaide and Queen Streets, are features that influence the building cross section and distribution of building volume.
ELEVATED PUBLIC PARK
The development offers significant public benefit through the provision of the 24/7 publicly accessible pedestrian street and an elevated park that aligns with the cathedral ground plane across Adelaide Street. This large scale green space adds to the identity of the sub-tropic city in a genuine and contemporary manner: an elevated, verdant landscape that references the historic terrain that was the foreground to the cathedral.
David Whitting, Grocons’ then Queensland General Manager Development, said “The new public park within a building at 480 Queen Street is an Australian first initiative, that will not only set the building apart, but will showcase Brisbane as a leader in world class design.”
Tower forms utilise the metaphor of stacked art and polished stone, producing a building character that suits the demands of contemporary office accommodation. Elevations to the cathedral and river sides are emphasised by ‘revealing’ coloured, jewel-like surfaces behind the ‘cut’ glass surface. These cut façades portions form a contextually appropriate backdrop to St John’s Cathedral and a unique, contemporary and iconic building within the Brisbane city skyline.
Urban Design Institute of Australia, Presidents Award for Best Overall Development (QLD)
RAIA Qld Chapter - Sustainable Architecture Award
RAIA Qld Chapter Brisbane Regional Commendation - Commercial Architecture
PCA Innovation & Excellence Awards Qld Development of the Year
- 19 Stories of 'tower' office accommodation (30,000m² NLA)
- 10 Stories of 'campus’ style low-rise office accommodation (25,000m² NLA)
- 5 Levels of retail space and servicing areas (2,000m² NLA)
- 270 Basement car parking spaces
- Queen St. / Adelaide St. lobby for 'tower' and 'campus' accommodation respectively
- Australia's first elevated park, with 24/7 public access, connecting St. John's Cathedral and river
- Development responds to its context, with sensitivity to surroundings
- Creation of premium grade office accommodation
- One of few premium office towers to offer 2,800m² floorplates
- 6 Star Green Star Office Design v3
- 5 Star NABERS Energy target
- Brisbane's first steel tower in 30 years